CHICAGO, Sept. 11, 2012 /Christian Newswire --
Operation Rescue has obtained a copy of Tonya Reaves' autopsy report that shows beyond a doubt that the 24-year old woman died from three major complications to a botched second-trimester abortion suffered at a Chicago area Planned Parenthood abortion clinic on July 20, 2012. It furthermore indicates that her injuries were survivable if she had received proper emergency care in a timely manner.
The autopsy itself was short, consisting of only seven pages. It took two months for the report to be released. Missing from it was any mention of the clinic that conducted her abortion or the name of the abortionists involved, details that are usually included in autopsy reports. These omissions give substance to suspicions that there is an on-going cover-up of Planned Parenthood's actions that led to Reaves' death.
Cook County Medical Examiner listed Reaves' cause of death as "due to hemorrhage resulting from cervical dilation and evacuation due to an intrauterine pregnancy." In plain language, Reaves bled to death as the result of a bungled D&E abortion. The pregnancy itself did not contribute to her death.
"We strongly believe that criminal charges such as Depraved Indifference, Criminal Negligence, and Criminal Malpractice are applicable in this case and we again call for a criminal investigation into the death of Tonya Reaves," said Troy Newman, President of Operation Rescue and Pro-Life Nation. "Planned Parenthood killed her, now they must be brought to justice in a court of law."
Reaves' autopsy revealed that:
- She was approximately 16 weeks pregnant at the time of her abortion, well into the second trimester.
- She suffered from an incomplete abortion. The Medical Examiner discovered pieces of placenta still attached to the inside of her womb even after a second abortion done by the hospital to remove fetal remains left by Planned Parenthood.
- She suffered a 3/16 inch uterine perforation near forcep impression marks.
- She suffered an "extensive" perforation of her broad uterine ligament with a possible severing of her left uterine artery as a result of her abortion. This accounted for the internal bleeding that was discovered only too late by the hospital trauma team.
- In a vain attempt to save her life, the hospital trauma team performed an emergency hysterectomy on Reaves.
"As bungled as this abortion was, we believe Tonya Reaves could have survived her injuries if she had gotten immediate emergency care and if Planned Parenthood had shared medical information with the hospital related to her incomplete abortion and uterine perforation," said Newman. "Instead, Planned Parenthood delayed for hours then left the trauma team in the dark to solve the puzzle of Tonya's injuries while her life ebbed away."
Operation Rescue plans to file a complaint with the Illinois Department of Professional Regulation against abortionist Carolyn Hoke, who is believed to have been responsible for Reaves' abortion. Planned Parenthood of Illinois recently agreed to pay the state $367,000 to settle a case against Hoke involving fraudulent over-billing of Medicaid.