LifeNews reports: An abortion business that has come under fire for a non-doctor giving a woman with a late-term pregnancy the dangerous RU 486 abortion drug and falsified its records of what happened has surrendered its medical license. The woman, who had a severely high blood pressure and needed medical attention, later gave birth to a stillborn baby.
Operation Rescue provides the following account:
The Summit Medical Center, has permanently surrendered their license rather than face a scheduled June 20 hearing that would have required them to defend slipshod, unsafe conditions at their abortion mill in Birmingham, Alabama. This means the abortion mill will not reopen.Jim Pinto, Founder, Sanctity of Life Ministries, provides the following press release:
Summit had its license suspended by the Alabama Department of Health on May 17 after reports of a botched abortion on a nearly full-term baby. The Department of Health indicated that they suspended the license after an investigation revealed that unlicensed clinic workers did an abortion on a woman in her last stage of pregnancy. After suffering complications, the patient was hospitalized where she ďdelivered a stillborn, macerated, foul smelling, six pound, four ounce baby.Ē
The self-surrender of the license avoided a hearing that could have revealed even more details of slipshod abortions and unsafe conditions and practices.
ďThe last thing an abortion mill wants is for the truth to be told about the conditions that really exist inside their offices,Ē said Operation Rescue President Troy Newman. ďThat is why they fight tooth and nail to prevent clinic regulations and inspections, and why they will not turn over records, even when the private information in the records is redacted. These mills would rather close than submit to the same standards legitimate medical providers must meet. And frankly, if they close, thatís fine with us.Ē
Summit Medical Center Birmingham Relinquishes License to State Officials in High Profile Case; Activist Calls for Further Action
BIRMINGHAM, Ala., June 15 /Christian Newswire/ -- Jim Pinto, Founder of Sanctity of Life Ministries and Pastoral Associate with Priests for Life and Her Choice Birmingham, and Pro- life activist for over 26 years in Birmingham made the following statement regarding Summitís relinquishing of its license before the revocation hearing date set for, June 22nd.
The Alabama Department of Public Health recently suspended Summits License due to gross malpractice. A woman was told she was 6 weeks pregnant, given RU486-chemical abortion, by a non physician, while her blood pressure was dangerously high. We next hear of this woman "presented to the emergency room of a Birmingham hospital with the head of a baby protruding. While at the hospital (she) delivered a stillborn, macerated, six pound, four ounce baby."
While we commend the Alabama Dept. of Health for its intervention in this case and rejoice that this place of death to babies and danger to women is closed, there is more work that needs to be done:
- I call upon all Christians and people of good will to lament the brutal death of this precious child and the thousands who have suffered a similar end in this mill. I ask us all to offer to this woman, and all like her, the post-abortion healing and charity she needs. We also make known to woman in Crisis pregnancy that the resources and support you need are here for you-You are not alone!
- I am inviting all people of good will to join me for a service of "Re-memberance, Celebration, and Commitment to Establish a Culture of Life" on Wednesday, June 21, 11:45 A.M. at the now closed, Summit Medical Center 1801 14th Avenue South, Birmingham, Alabama 35205.
- The Physician/Abortionist and Nurse who oversaw this malpractice and murder of this full term human being should be further investigated and have their licenses to practice medicine revoked immediately by the Board of Medical Licensure. We also offer to them the mercy and healing that God desires for them.
- We call upon the District Attorney, Tenth Judicial Circuit of Alabama, David Barber, to investigate criminal charges in the killing of a full term baby which is in direct violation of our Fetal Viability Law, not to mention the Moral Law. The records of the Summit should be handed over to the proper authorities for further investigation into violation of laws, malpractice, and abortion injuries.
- We call upon the A.D.P.H. and other responsible State officials to investigate immediately any charges brought against Alabama Abortion Clinics who are violating State laws and medical standards that these Clinics are charged to maintain.
- I express gratitude to Christians throughout the Country who prayed and contacted the authorities in Alabama.
Jim Pinto's ministry on behalf of the Gospel of Life is rooted in Birmingham, Alabama and extends throughout the United States.